7.18.2008

Green Cleaning...

We had a garage sale this past weekend which was our opportunity to get rid of our junk while preventing it from landing in the 'fill. We made a little bit of money, but got rid of a whole lotta junk. Which led to a massive cleaning project that is still going on.

It's amazing how much junk a family can collect and it's even more amazing how much dirt hides behind the junk. Mixing up big batches of cleaning solutions got me feeling all Mother Earth. No one likes to clean but my kitchen floor? Honey, you can literally eat off of it. My 14 month old does.

Cleaning Solution Recipes
Vinegar and Salt. Mix together for a good surface cleaner.
Baking Soda. Dissolve 4 tablespoons baking soda in 1 quart warm water for a general cleaner.
Baking soda on a damp sponge. Baking soda cleans and deodorizes all kitchen and bathroom surfaces.
*courtesy of Clean and Green

Non-Toxic Cleaning Kit

2 comments:

Sophia said...

For those of you who want green cleaning but don't necessarily have the time to do it yourself, Columbus offers some great green cleaning companies. I know that with working and raising two young children, cleaning is the last thing I want to do when I get home. I use a company call A Green Sweep (www.agreensweep.com). The are very professional, do a great job, and I can feel good about my clean house. None of their products are toxic or full of chemicals so it's totally safe for the kids and our dog.

Anonymous said...

I'm a die hard green-cleaner and I firmly believe that all a home needs for clean sinks, floors, counters and toilets is water, vinegar, borax, salt, baking soda and some lemon. These are the basics of course and some essential oils are always a nice touch! There are some great Green recipes at YourGreenReview.com-search green cleaners (or similar). Good luck and happy cleaning!