10.29.2007

Boo at the Zoo, Ohioana and Elections, Oh my!

This weekend was a busy one! Being the fab parent I am, I hustled my two children and husband off to the Boo at the Zoo. This annual Columbus event is a great one for families and those looking for free candy.

Besides the cool animals and the free candy, there are always "enrichment" programs for the animals. Basically the zoo personnel give the animals pumpkins to smash for entertainment. Both humans and animals - is there a difference - get a kick out of smashing fruit. Remember Gallagher?

The great kids costumes were cool to see and then there's the free candy. I remember last year it was tootsie rolls. Everyone had tootsie rolls, boring! I'm glad to see some vendors stepped it up this year. I mean let's be honest - the kids do the collecting and we parents do the pillaging. Saving the kids from cavities right?

The construction appears to be coming along nicely and I for one can't wait 'til the waterpark reopens. Though one thing I do hate is the loooong walk from inside the zoo to the parking lot. I feel like Clark Griswold going to Wally World.

Ohioana
I got to volunteer at the Ohioana Gala Friday night and rub elbows with well-known Ohio authors and literary types while selling raffle tickets and eating stuffed mushrooms. I'm just putting myself out there and I realized quickly that the literary crowd is one I halfway know already. Old professors and former classmates were all over the place. It was cool to catch up and meet some new friends while serving a good cause. I made over $350 bucks for the organization with my raffle tickets. Not bad for a girl who can't sell Girl Scout Cookies.

Elections are Coming
Last week the Franklin County Board of Elections announced it was short over 100 Democrats and Republicans to work the polls for the upcoming election. Fearing anarchy I answered the call and filled out an application last week to be a judge or presiding judge - whatever, I'm not choosy - get it voting, choosy... I expected a call immediately or at least by the end of the week since they were so desperate.

Today I still had not heard from them so I decided to give them a ring. Turns out they've been working all weekend going through applications. The nice lady on the phone told me to "give them a couple more days." Not a problem, unless of course you realize the elections are next Tuesday. I assume there's some sort of training involved or maybe just a short video of the 2000 election in Florida as an example of what not to do. I'll keep ya posted and in the meantime log on to the Board of Elections Web site to check your polling place, sign up to be a poll worker, etc. Vote people!

What did you do this weekend? Did ya bring me something back?

No comments: